SARA LANDEAU is a guitarist, bassist, drummer, educator, music program coordinator, producer, engineer, songwriter, and artist living in NYC.
She currently plays guitar in punk-pop-dance-feminist NYC band THE JULIE RUIN featuring Kathleen Hanna (Le Tigre, Bikini Kill), Kathi Wilcox (Bikini Kill, Casual Dots) , Carmine Covelli (Bridget Everett and the Tender Moments), and Kenny Mellman (Kiki & Herb).
For classes, private lessons, & music workshops see CLASSES page
Around 2003, Sara opened Brooklyn Music Studio for Women & Girls in Greenpoint, Brooklyn NY, providing private and group instrument lessons year round. This has been an ongoing community and educational series, affiliated with the Girls Rock Camp Alliances.
* Girls Rock Camp Alliance, NYC - ongoing band coach and guitar teacher for the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls in Brooklyn NY and Ladies Rock Camp since 2005. Worked at the Austin Rock Camp for Girls in the summer of 2010.
* Gowanus Music Club, Brooklyn NY - ongoing band coach for adults and co-ed kid classes.
* Learning Annex NYC - Seminar speaker. Courses include "How to Read Music in One Night" which written up in the Village Voice "Best of Education" issue.
* Film - played the role of a jazz guitarist in the Julia Roberts film "Mona Lisa Smiles" 2005. Worked as a consultant for actors playing musicians in films.
* Documentary - "The Punk Singer" 2014 featuring several songs by The Julie Ruin.
Dozens of female bands and kid projects including:
Penis 2015, Producer and engineer
Massacara 2015, engineer/co-producer
The Catch 2014, Producer and engineer
Petal War 2013 Producer and engineer
Pink Veins 2012, Producer and engineer
B.A., Art History & Archaeology, 2002, Columbia University NY
The Juilliard School, NYC - classical guitar, music technology, audio engineering, composition
The New School, NYC - music theory, ear training, transcription, guitar, bass, drums
NYU - audio engineering, Pro Tools studies